Thursday, March 26, 2009

The first Waffle of the Year

So then, came across Dawkins' "The Selfish Gene"again. I first read the book completely around 3 years back but had started it when I was still in school - due to a passing reference made by a teacher. The book is part of a base of sources around which I have built my thought processes. It fits in (or at least I like to think so) very nicely with Objectivism and and a couple of other streams of thinking which I (at least till now) believe true.
Found an interesting essay here

I think he seems a little confused (moves towards a little popular thought) when he writes “Have in mind that I defend cooperation and think selfish actions are generally foolish not only in my profession but as a lifestyle based on the selfish principle of maximizing rewards.” Now, what I think he should have done is put the following into the sentence - Rational self interest.
Thats it! following Rand's ethic of rational self interest will automatically mean that if you are in a situation where you cannot answer the question “Why should I” then the answer has no benefit to oneself then committing that action is pointless.
Thus you would cooperate because you believe that cooperation would do you good and not because you are have to - meaning you are selfish even when you believe you are altruistic.

No comments: